Last of Nassau / First Few Days on the Ship

After reading my last blog post, it feels like it has been weeks since I got to the Bahamas. So much has happened in so little time. Here’s a little overview of what has been going on since then:
On Wednesday night I met my roommate at the Atlantis; he goes to the University of Colorado and from Seattle, Washington. We stayed at the hotel that night and met some other people from SAS who were at the Atlantis. On Thursday we hung out with a few other people at the hotel beach and the water park. In the evening we went out to a local bar in Nassau where dozens of other people from SAS met up. Then on Friday morning we checked out of the hotel, got a taxi, and prepared to start our trip around the world.

The Atlantis Hotel complex in Nassau
The main hotel tower, Atlantis
more of the Atlantis
Nice pool, I think I'll keep my distance!
View of Nassau from the SAS MV Explorer

Small and cozy quarters
The line to board the ship took about an hour to get through, but everything went well and I got on board without a problem. Then I went to my cabin to check out the room; my first impression was that it was pretty small, but I didn’t mind too much, since I assumed I wouldn’t be spending a lot of time there. I met two of my roommates, and later learned that the other one had not boarded the ship. We still don’t know what happened to him, but for now it is nice to have an extra bed and a little more space. The roommates that did show up were Andy, who is from Oregon and goes to Oregon State, and Fred, who is from Connecticut and goes to school at Methodist in North Carolina.
The first few days have been hectic, to say the least, but I think things are starting to settle down a bit (just in time for Brazil!). My classes appear to be more work then I had hoped for, but they are manageable. I am taking Intro to Anthropology, Asian Art, Global Environmental Policy, and a Global Studies course on the rise of China. As of now I am just keeping up with school work and waiting until we arrive in Salvador on Sunday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Busan to Osaka

Training in DC and Prep for Georgia

My Dad and Uncle Visit Korea, Part 1