Since Jeju

I haven’t posted any updates in awhile, so I figured now would be a good time to fill you in on the last few weeks. To be honest, there hasn’t been much that is blog-worthy. Well at least not as interesting as in January. Part of the reason has been that we haven’t had any long weekends. Another is that in January I spent far too much money! I still saved a few hundred bucks, but I’d have liked to save more. A friend of mine who taught here two years ago said that he saved around $12,000 in 12 months! I won’t have that much, but I want to save up at least enough to travel after my contract is up (and hopefully have some left over).

I need to save up more Won (this 1000
Won note is worth about $1)

Since the Jeju trip my schedule has been pretty normal, teaching during the week and going out around Seoul on the weekends. Two weeks ago I started taking Korean lessons at a language center in Jamsil. I randomly met several of the Korean teachers at a bookstore in January, and it seemed like they really wanted me to try the lessons. 

I am in a beginner class with 5 other people (if we all show up) which meets Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 7:30 to 9:00. There is one main teacher, plus several other volunteers who sit in on the class and give us more one on one attention. The teachers are all volunteers and the lessons are free! I heard that a wealthy Korean donated money to set up the program as a sort of cultural exchange. Most of the volunteers also teach during the day, then go to the center in the evenings.

I feel good so far about the lessons, but I don’t think I’ll be chatting it up in Korean any time soon. I am probably in the middle of the group when it comes to my Korean abilities – which says less about how advanced I am than about how basic a few of the other students are. We have moved slowly, but I guess it is good to get a review and to feel comfortable with the material before moving on. So far we have only covered basics such as the alphabet, reading practice, counting, and basic phrases such as “my name is Ben,” “I am from America,” and “I will have two cups of coffee.” Even those phrases are an improvement though.

The alphabet is actually quite easy; much easier
than memorizing thousands of Chinese characters!

I hope that in a few months I’ll be able to feel comfortable during daily interactions with Koreans, such as at restaurants, markets, asking for directions, etc. If I can get to that level I won’t really need to know much more. I’d definitely like to of course, but if I’m only putting in a few hours of practice a week I should be realistic about my potential!

Besides the lessons, I’ve been trying to go to the gym I joined at least twice a week. When the weather gets warmer I’ll definitely try and run outdoors. I don’t particularly like running in the cold, but I also don’t like the treadmill. That can make it hard in the winter, especially in Seoul! The average temperature here in January and so far in February has been a high of around freezing (32F/0C). It typically gets down to at least -5C at night. The temperature also doesn’t fluctuate much, unlike back home in Ohio. I am definitely looking forward to spring and the coming of warm weather!

Our winter scenes haven't looked as beautiful; not very
much snow this year, but certainly cold enough for it!
South Korean and US soldiers' winter training
exercises: count me out!

Like I mentioned earlier, the last few weekends I have stayed in Seoul. On at least one weekend night I usually go out to a bar/club in either Hongdae or Gangnam. I am hoping to take another trip outside of the city, although we don’t have many breaks coming up in the next few months.

March 1st is a national holiday, but we only get that Thursday off. Then the next break isn’t until April I think. Even though we won’t have long weekends, two days is enough for a quick trip to many of the other cities around the country. I’m thinking that I will continue saving money for a few more weeks. When I really feel like a getaway then I can splurge on a trip one weekend. Hopefully I will have more interesting stories to post about soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Busan to Osaka

Training in DC and Prep for Georgia

My Dad and Uncle Visit Korea, Part 1