My (Short) Return to Europe


My southeast Asian trip took a pause for two weeks at the beginning of May.  My dad, aunt, and uncle had planned a trip to Germany to visit my sisters, both of whom are studying abroad there (one in Bonn and one in Wurzburg).  A return flight from Bangkok to Germany was out of my price range so I hadn't anticipated joining them.  As it turned out my dad really wanted me to join - enough to pay for the plane ticket!

Needless to say I took him up on the offer.  On the 2nd of May I flew from Bangkok to Dusseldorf via Moscow on Aeroflot.  I've heard bad things about Aeroflot - probably dating back to old Soviet times - but my experience was fine.  The airport in Moscow was nice too, although I managed to buy 22 Euro wallets for my sisters (not realizing how expensive they were - why would they price goods in Euros, not Russian currency?  The price was in Euros on the tag and Rubles on the receipt!).

I spent the first night with my sister in Bonn, then two in Wurzburg with the family.  My dad, aunt, uncle and I then went to Berlin for two days.  From Berlin we crossed into Poland, visiting my uncle's friend near Gdansk.  He has been living in Poland for 20 years teaching English.  I was really impressed with Gdansk and would love to visit again - preferably in summer!  We got lucky with the weather; one day hit 80 degrees.  According to Ray that is the hottest it will get all summer!

A few pics from Gdansk:

a scene from the old town


From left, my uncle, aunt, Ray, and my dad

I really loved the old cobblestone
streets and small shops


From Gdansk my dad and I stopped in Warsaw, then met up with my Aunt and Uncle again in Krakow.  They stayed behind with their friend for an extra day.  When he was driving us to the train station for our trip to Warsaw, he managed to put unleaded gasoline in his diesel car!  I've never had that happen before, but apparently the repair wasn't too costly.

Photos from Warsaw:

a main square in the old town

the Catholic cemetery was the largest I'd ever seen


modern Warsaw

apparently Mike Tyson is sponsoring Black Energy...interesting

a great Polish tradition - drinking!

In Krakow we visited Auschwitz.  So in less than three weeks I made the rounds visiting both Khmer Rouge and Nazi death sites.  Well even though it is tough to take in these things need to be visited.  I wouldn't want to go back, but you should definitely go if you are in Krakow.  The guides are knowledgeable and it is rare to get that up and close with such a defining moment in history.

We only had two nights in Krakow, then flew back to Germany to visit my sister in Bonn.  Overall I was very happy with the visit to Poland; I had gone knowing little about the country and didn't have expectations (high or low).  Since I am a bit behind with the blog I'm just trying to post a brief outline of the trip to Europe and get back up to date on SE Asia.

Auschwitz:

the barracks from the smaller of the two main camps

there were all kinds of personal items on display,
from shoes to luggage; and oh so many

the only boxcar on site

and the tracks that lead to nowhere but death

After two more nights in Bonn my dad, aunt and uncle flew home.  I had three more nights with my sister, and it was really fun to have more time together.  I had anticipated going out for drinks and reliving my time back during uni days in 2009 when I had the summer course in Bonn.  Unfortunately I was taking medication and couldn't drink!  It's a bit embarrassing but I'll divulge anyway.

After arriving in Germany I noticed a rash on my thigh.  On my upper thigh, way too close to my groin for comfort.  By the time we reached Poland it had gotten worse, so I saw a doctor.  Luckily Ray's (the English teacher's) wife is a pharmacist and got me an appointment with a good dermatologist.  I was in the doctor's room with my dad and Ray, my uncle's friend, and of course the doctor asked to see the rash.  I had hoped for a little privacy but found none; I had to expose myself in front of everyone and let him examine my groin!  What a great experience!

Turns out it was ring worm!  I got two types of creams and two different pills to take.  The first lasted 10 days, and the second set of pills was for 20.  So long story short I abstained from alcohol for almost 2 weeks, but when I go back to Thailand I will have to break the streak!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Busan to Osaka

Training in DC and Prep for Georgia

My Dad and Uncle Visit Korea, Part 1