First Week at the Fruitshack


The trip to Leeton took a total of 8 hours, first to a town called Wagga Wagga by train (there are plenty of funny names in Australia), and then on a bus from Wagga to Leeton.  I didn't realize it at the time but there were four other backpackers headed to the Fruit Shack on the train/bus; Henrick from Germany, Saffron from England, and Camille and Inis from France.  Michael picked us up in his old camper van, which was painted 'Fruit Shack' on the side.  He also had three other backpackers who he had picked up from work.  Together we drove to the supermarket (Woolworth's) and Michael informed us that we were going grocery shopping for the week.

The Woolworths in Leeton is where all the Fruitshackers do their
shopping.  It's about a 25 minute walk from the farm, or you can go
with Michael when he makes the weekly taxi trip in his van.
The Fruitshack van

It was quite hard to figure out how much I might need for an entire week, especially since I'd never pass for a cook.  I stocked up on cheap food that would make for easy-to-cook meals such as lunch meat and bread for sandwiches, noodles, spaghetti, canned food, and frozen pizzas.  After staying in the Shack for over a week I can now say that I planned it out pretty well.

I can also give a brief review of the Fruit Shack so far after ten days or so.  The accommodation is adequate, with bunk beds, a large kitchen, bathrooms, and a TV room.  Since the grape harvesting is soon approaching Michael has a lot of backpackers staying here, so it does get busy, especially in the kitchen and in the bathroom, which has three toilets, two showers, and two sinks for over 30 people.  Most of the year it is less crowded, but then again backpackers don't come to work on a farm expecting to live in luxury.

The Fruitshack: on the left, the main building with dorms, TV room, and 
kitchen.  On the right, additional dorms and the bathroom.
The TV room, known as the "goon room."  Goon is cheap boxed wine,
a backpacker go-to for parties.  Lots of cheap alcohol has been
consumed here, and lots of hangovers created.
Entrance to the bathroom: three toilets and two
showers for 25+ people!

After a few days you'll pretty much know what you are going to get here.  If it's not for you it should soon become obvious.  I'd say that I don't mind living here and doing farm work, but it's nothing I'd choose to do for a long time.  In the bathroom lots of people have written rave reviews of the Fruit Shack; things like, "I came here for five days and ended up staying ten weeks" or "This place is awesome thanks for everything Michael."  Thing is that is a biased selection of reviews.  I doubt many people who came for a few days or even those who stayed for awhile but didn't like it would bother to write on the wall (and if they did others would probably erase it).

Now again I'm not saying that I don't like it here.  I've met some great people and there is a strong sense of comrodorie.  And for those who love it the people you meet are the main reason.  I'm also spending far less money than I would be in Sydney.  Unfortunately I'm not making much either; Michael wanted to start grape picking last week, but the test from the winery delayed it (the grapes have to be just right, with the proper amount of sugar before you can pick them).

On the first day I picked limes, and since have been picking oranges.  Not every day, but enough to make a bit of money.  Limes were better paid though - I got $80 after tax for the one day, and after a long day picking oranges you might not even break $50.  At least accommodation is free when you pick for Michael.

On the right, the shack where I stayed.  As the beds filled up
some of the guys had to move into the bus (with beds inside of course)!
About 20 cats live on the farm.  They are generally friendly and
like interacting with the backpackers, when not napping.
Posing in front of an orange bin: we'll get $25 (total)
to fill one bin, which holds about 2,500 oranges!

And I have to hand it to Michael; he runs the Fruit Shack all by himself, finds us jobs (if we are not working for him), and still manages to tend to his farm.  He has been a bit testy of late, but with the grape delay, a big part of his crop and income, plus a few dozen rowdy backpackers at the Shack, I can understand why.  The work is hard and pay isn't great, but I appreciate his effort.  My plan from the start has always been to stay here for a short while before my friends Mike and Sam come to Sydney.  They will be on a 2 week holiday and I'm hoping to travel with them.  Once they leave I'll be on the job hunt again - possibly in a city, or if on a farm hopefully something that pays an hourly wage (other farm jobs can pay upwards of $20 an hour, far better than what I'm making with orange picking!).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Busan to Osaka

Training in DC and Prep for Georgia

My Dad and Uncle Visit Korea, Part 1