Another Delay...Better Than Never!

I just took a look at my last blog post, which was written back in January as I was heading off to Asia for another trip.  I had intentions of keeping up the blog this time.  No, seriously, I was planning on updating it occasionally during my trip, instead of months (or even years) later, as I am prone to do.  Alas, laziness - and to my defense, poor Internet connection and a busy schedule - got the better of me.

Well wait no longer.  I'm finally back home in Ohio after over six months on the road with time to kill.  That means more blogging!  Honestly I don't know how many people are reading this (thanks mom!) but it's as much of a blog as it is a record to help me remember.  I've already forgotten a lot from the trip and don't want to forget it all before I write the details down.  Every place starts to blend together at some point; I guess that's a good sign that I'm well traveled!

Sometimes my dad mentions a hotel we stayed
at or a landmark we saw on one of our trips together
and this is essentially my reaction...where was
that?  Can my memory really be worse than
my dad's?!  Well I have been to a lot of places!

When I last left the blog I was on my way to LA, having just stopped in Dallas to visit my good friend Andrew.  As it turns out Andrew would be joining me in Asia later on in the trip, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.  I had booked a flight to LA to visit my cousin Leslie and her husband David, who live in Marina Del Ray.  This was the third time I had stopped over to visit.  If I'm on my way to Asia with lots of free time it's hard to pass up a few nights at their apartment, only a short walk from Venice and the beach.

View from Leslie and David's apartment

Leslie is a resident at the University of Southern California studying ear, nose, and throat surgery.  She will be staying in LA for another year after her residency to complete a specialty in facial plastic surgery.  A lot of the work involves patients whose face was damaged during accidents such as car crashes, so it's not just nose jobs and face-lifts!  I'm sure some older members of our family would like to make the most of Leslie's expertise in the future though (not pointing any fingers ladies!).

As a resident Leslie typically has little free time, although I caught her on a weekend where she had two full days off.  Two full days - how lucky is she!  Leslie was celebrating her 30th birthday that weekend, which, judging from her reaction to the mere mention of it, was a day to dread.  I know the big 3-0 can be hard but she was a pretty good sport about it!  As it turns out that weekend, the first in February, coincided with Super Bowl Sunday.  On Sunday afternoon we went to a party at their friend's place followed by another house party in Venice.

Leslie and David, always great hosts!

Watching the Super Bowl when the sun was still shining felt weird.  Columbus is on Eastern Standard Time so we catch it in the evening.  As football season wraps up the weather back home is usually dark and dreary, with no end to winter in sight.  LA was warm and sunny...hey I can see why Leslie and David love it out here!  I spend much of the time outside - grilling, playing pool and beer pong - and missed most of the game.  The free alcohol also didn't help my memory, although I do recall that the Pats won a close one.  I still don't know what the score was!

While in Southern California I also paid a visit to Henry, an old friend who I met on Semester at Sea.  Henry's been living in San Diego since he graduated from Babson business school in Boston.  I had been out to his place once before, back when I was on my way to Australia.  Henry is pretty much the same guy from SAS; he even drives the same Toyota Camry he had in college.  The thing has over 200,000 miles and the indoor passenger door handle is missing (well you can open it with a metal hook that Henry fastened to the door), but the car still runs!

Henry and I dressed to impress back on Semester at Sea
View over Mission Bay in San Diego

It was good to see Henry, have a few beers and check out Mission Bay, a hip part of town - not in the sense of being overrun with hipsters, but just a cool spot near the beach with lots of young people.  We did stop by an area with a ton of hipsters.  Can't remember the name but to it's credit the burrito place there was worth the trip.  After one night at Henry's I was back in LA and getting ready for my flight to Asia!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Busan to Osaka

Training in DC and Prep for Georgia

My Dad and Uncle Visit Korea, Part 1