Time Flies With Good Friends


My, my, time does fly. It’s been over two months since I last posted (I wrote that Chinese superstition one a while ago and forgot to publish it!). I’d like to tell you that I have a tome worth of updates to recount, but I’ll keep it honest. I did just get back to Hangzhou from a three week holiday in the Philippines – I’ll save that for the following post – but aside from my tropical getaway life in China has been tranquil.

Although I like change and excitement, tranquility can be a good thing too. Back in early October I traveled to Nanjing and Hefei – capitals of neighboring Jiangsu and Anhui provinces, respectively – on my 5 day fall break. From the end of that break until New Year’s I didn’t leave Hangzhou. My workload was manageable, my social life sufficient, and I quickly settled into the Monday to Friday grind. It was more a breeze than a grind. Sure the application season presented its fair share of essays to revise, but aside from the odd deadline week I’ve had an easy schedule.

For fall break I spent several days in Nanjing, the capital of
Jiangsu Province, then Hefei, before going back to Hangzhou.

When I worked in Seoul, and, well, for much of my adult life really, I haven’t had a stable set of close friends. I do have friends, people. This isn’t a cry for help. All I’m saying is that I’ve been the kind of guy who typically hangs out with several friend groups. In high school I sort of fit-in with the sports crowd, the AP/honors students, the neighborhood gang, and the not-so-nerdy but still kind of nerdy crowd – I simultaneously had several places and none at all. In Korea there were my work friends, the foreigners from Korean class, and the uni students I taught (while eating dinner and drinking together!).

Here in Hangzhou, however, I’ve developed a tight friendship with several teachers. I don’t know many people beyond our school, but hey, this time I don’t really need to. There’s Trevor, the PE teacher from Northern Ireland, and Ralph, the Dutch drama teacher. The three of us live in the same apartment building and we go out most weekends together. Ralph joined our gym this week so Trevor and I will be seeing even more of him.

Some of the teachers at the dinner (to my right is Tracy, another college
counselor, and to the left is Robbie, the economics teacher, followed by
Justin G, who teaches physics, and Sisley, our boss).

Then there’s Joanna and Justin, a pseudo couple (more on that later) who live 4 kms from my place. All first year teachers are required to live in the same apartment complex, but J and J are in their second year here so they opted to move out on their own. Joanna, an English teacher, is from Northern England and Justin, who teaches math, happens to be from Ohio. I’ve clicked with Joanna, and along with Trevor and Ralph we often end up drinking together on weekends. Justin isn’t as keen on the late night scene, but he still goes out for dinner and beers, and plays pool with us at our local hangout.

Go-Karting in Shanghai with (from left to right) Justin,
Trevor, Ralph, Joanna, and yours truly.

At the hotel in Shanghai with Trevor, Joanna and Ralph.

Aside from those four we have Steve, a history teacher from New York state, and Tom, an Aussie English teacher. Both have been here over a year and live in their own digs – Steve with his Russian wife and one year old son, and Tom by himself (although he does have a Chinese girlfriend). They rarely go out partying, but have met up with us several times on weekends. We all went to Steve’s apartment for Christmas, and he came over to my place when I had a welcoming party of sorts.

Steve with his wife Manya, dressed as a cool Santa.
Opening Christmas gifts at Steve's place

I’m glad to have a solid group of work friends, especially since I haven’t met many other people outside school (if I were on my own I’d probably be forced to branch out). Our group of five – Trevor, Ralph, Joanna, Justin, and I – have become close friends. I’ll often go to the gym with Trevor, play pool on a weekday with Trevor, Ralph, and Justin, and go out drinking until early Saturday or Sunday morning with the gang (minus Justin).

After last semester our economics teacher and an English teacher left so we now have two replacements. We’ll see how well they get on with us – hopefully they’ll want to hang out during weekends or evenings – the more the merrier!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Busan to Osaka

Training in DC and Prep for Georgia

My Dad and Uncle Visit Korea, Part 1