What's Been Happening Spring Semester

June is nearly here, and the semester is nearly over. My last day of work is the 29th, and I’m scheduled to fly out that same evening. But before I move on to my summer vacation plans I need to recap what’s been happening this spring.

My main counseling duties consist of helping students with university selection and applications. Those apps were finished by January, so I wasn’t sure what to expect once spring semester commenced. To be honest, not much else has replaced my admissions work.

Springtime is recruiting season for high schools in China. Most schools screen 9th graders (Chinese high school starts in 10th grade) simply based on test scores; so basically the top high school in Hangzhou has first pick of students, the second best picks from the remaining candidates, and so on. Since our department is an international division, the process is different.

Any student who wishes to go to an international department – or more accurately, any student whose parents have the cash to pay and want their child to study at a university abroad – can apply to our program. The school is responsible for screening candidates, and after the results are complete the department will send out offers to prospective kids.

There are plenty of options for internationally minded students – education is a big business here – so simply sending out flyers advertising our school isn’t enough. During the first half of the semester we traveled to over a dozen middle schools to meet students, give them an entertaining presentation, and inform them about our school in the hopes that they would apply.

Part of the grade 10 class (on a field trip this winter), who went through the admissions process last spring.

I was in charge of creating a presentation for the kids. The school simply wanted them to see the foreign teachers and leave with a positive view of our school, so the content was on me. I’d like to have made an interactive session where students could get out of their seats and participate, but the venues and size of the audience changed every time. Due to the circumstances a PPT was in order. I did my best to make it fun, with bits about Western food, sights, music, and sports. I typically presented with 2 or 3 other teachers, although I also did a 45 minute show solo.

You can find jeopardy PPT templates to customize (this is an example
of a history round, but I kept mine simple with categories like famous
people, sports, types of musical instruments, and country capitals).

To keep it lively we asked lots of questions and handed out candy for correct answers. I also experimented with trivia sheets to keep the kids engaged, and did a couple presentations as a jeopardy game about the West. In the first half of the semester I averaged one to two middle school trips a week. I actually enjoyed the presentations and interaction with students, particularly the outgoing groups.

Aside from recruiting I continued to organize weekly English Corner activities. I planned out a speech competition which lasted a month (during 4 Friday sessions), and we’re currently in the middle of a debate tournament. Speech and debate were optional, and most students simply meet up for activities and games with their assigned teachers.

I also kept teaching my 12th grade college writing class, although it has since ended. The seniors’ last day of school was May 12th, so they moved out of the dorms and have been gone for over two weeks. Their two homeroom classes were on the 4th floor, and without any students it sure feels quiet. Most foreigners have classrooms or offices on the first and second floor, but I’m all the way up on the 5th in the counseling office.

Getting ready for the graduation photos.
Joanna posing in the students' dorms just after the seniors had moved out.
I am sure they were glad to get back home to a room of their own!

Aside from listening in to a few interviews with prospective foreign teachers, my only other responsibility has been one class a week with each section of the 11th graders. It was an extra counseling class added in May after the AP exams left students with gaps in their schedule. Thing is, they are taking mock ACT exams every other Friday when I’m scheduled to have class, and so far I’ve only met them once! I think I’ll only see them twice in June, hardly enough time to introduce a subject, let alone go in depth.

One of the 11th grade classes with Steve, the history teacher.
I'll have them for a couple classes this month.

Since the seniors finished and recruiting ended (we had testing and interviews on campus two weekends ago) my schedule has transitioned from light to wide open. That’s why I’m updating the blog – lots of free time! I’ll post a couple more about trips to Suzhou and Beijing, plus an upcoming excursion to Hainan. After that it won’t be long until I’m on summer break!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Busan to Osaka

Training in DC and Prep for Georgia

My Dad and Uncle Visit Korea, Part 1