Enoshima and Covid-19 Update


It's now the last week of May and our company is starting to send people back to the office. Since I can do my work remotely, it might take a few more weeks for me to go back, but it won't be long until I have to commute again. Before that happens, I wanted to release a few more blog updates. 

I have been working remotely since early April, although Japan was on alert about Covid-19 months before. By mid-February our company was already advising us not to go out drinking in crowded places, and some businesses were restricting hours. Japan never went into full lockdown mode-- restaurants are still open (though not all), the metro is running normally, and there are no restrictions on leaving the house. Despite the leniency, most people have played it safe; the vast majority wear masks in public and wash their hands regularly.

Initially I was lukewarm about the prospect of working at home in my small apartment, which doesn't even have a table. But I am used to it now and enjoy the fact that I save over an hour each day on the commute, and I can show up to work in my PJs. After a week at home I do itch to get out and about, so I've used several weekends to take day trips outside Tokyo or explore areas of the city I had never previously been. 

My office set up isn't the most comfortable, juggling my work
PC and personal laptop, which has access to Bloomberg.

In the next handful of posts I'll include pictures from my various trips. This could be a good reference for someone who will eventually visit Tokyo and wants to get out of the touristy areas, for those who are just curious, or even those who are already here and looking for a little getaway. Before I dive into those excursions, below are pictures from a day trip to Enoshima, along the coast of Kanagawa Prefecture, south of Yokohama. Enoshima is close to Kamakura, and isn't exactly off the beaten path--some of the later editions will be less touristy--but it's a nice way to transport yourself to a laid back beach vibe just over an hour from central Tokyo. 

Enoshima is actually a small island connected to the coast by bridge, just past the Miura peninsula.
It's a quick ride from central Tokyo, just over an hour from most major stations.


I went there just before New Years, yet there were lots of flowers still
in full bloom.

One of the few photos of me; I always feel like I'm spoiling the scenery!

View from the observatory / light house on Enoshima looking north, toward the mainland.

Looking west toward Mt. Fuji (can't really make it out unfortunately)

View to the south and the open ocean
You can walk along the tidal pools on the south side of the island

Back on the mainland. Parts of the coast felt more like
California than Tokyo.

Sunset view from the beach near Enoshima; Mt. Fuji is on the right

I'll send out a handful of posts over the next month. They will be light on the text with mostly pictures, so hopefully you can get inspired to explore if you make it to Tokyo!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Busan to Osaka

Training in DC and Prep for Georgia

My Dad and Uncle Visit Korea, Part 1