Sagami River and Mt. Shiroyama


Hello again! I know it's been awhile since my latest series of Tokyo day-trip posts, but I still have a few more to fill you in on. After several months of working from home 4-5 days a week and avoiding late night entertainment, I'm starting to get my social life back. That means less time for the blog, but more sanity for me. 

Right now it's a long weekend in Japan, or in other words a good opportunity for another post. Monday is Mountain Day; Japan's newest holiday is intended to provide "opportunities to get familiar with mountains and appreciate blessings from mountains" (read more here). Do we really need a day off to appreciate mountains? I'm not complaining, I'll take the day off, but it's up there on my list of strange holidays (Turkmenistan's Melon Day is my top pick).

If you are following the global COVID-19 picture, you may know that the number of cases in Japan has increased recently--actually there are more daily cases now than during the first surge in April. Back in the spring the highest single day total was 743, but all but one day in August so far we've had over 1,000 cases. Despite the recent uptick, Tokyo seems to have settled into a 'new normal.' Many of the new cases are among people in their 20s and 30s and in nightlife areas, and so far we haven't seen a spike in deaths. Masks are still ubiquitous, and the metro less crowded, but more people are going to work and out for drinks at night too. Japan still hasn't done much testing, so part of me is worried, but the situation here is still far better than back in the US.

Daily new cases in Japan; the cumulative total is under 50k,
less than the average daily total in the US recently


Back in May, on one of my socially distanced weekends, I took the metro to Hashimoto, near the western edge of the metro area. My plan was to take a bus from the train station to a park overlooking Tsukuiko Dam, which I didn't know much about but looked scenic from photos (when searching for places to visit I literally just panned around Google Maps and clicked on interesting features, such as parks, and then scrolled through the pictures and reviews to find trip ideas). Before I took the bus I grabbed lunch near the train station; in another random search, I found a Mexican restaurant. The Mexican food here often leaves a lot to be desired, especially since I recently came from San Diego where I frequented Baja California. This place beat my (low) expectations, but I'm still in search of a place which could pass in Mexico, or even the US.

Special drinks at the 'Mexican Dining Bonos' in Hashimoto;
I wonder if the Corona cocktails are more or less popular now

After lunch I hopped on the bus for a 25 minute ride out to the park, which was nearly empty. One benefit of COVID-19 has been that I often had places nearly to myself. I doubt that Lake Tsukuiko is packed during normal times, but there were probably even fewer people around. From the park I crossed over the Shiroyama Dam, and found some quiet trails to hike. The best part was actually after I left the wooded area and made my way back to a bus stop, crossing a bridge with amazing views of the Sagami River (the photo at the top of this post). 

Overall, I wouldn't rate the lake and park as a must see in Tokyo. But if you have time on your hands and want to get off the (somewhat) beaten track within easy access to Tokyo, the Tsukuiko Shiroyama Park is a good option. Below are a few pictures from my trip:

Garden in the Tsukuiko-shiroyama Park

I don't know if I've ever seen this kind of flower in so many colors

I had the place nearly to myself

View from the Shiroyama Dam; there was a lot of debris
along the shoreline, and I don't think those swans have
been out for a spin in years

Another view of the park and Sagami River / Tsuiko Lake

Trail in the Shiroyama Tsuiko Park

Small shrine near the summit

There wasn't a great view from the top, but the view
over the river on my way back was well worth it

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Busan to Osaka

Training in DC and Prep for Georgia

My Dad and Uncle Visit Korea, Part 1