Couchsurfing in Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast





A lot of updates over the last week or so.  Currently I'm staying in a hostel near Mission Beach, a small coastal town south of Cairns.  First about the rest of my time in Brisbane.

After staying in City Backpackers for nearly a week I was ready for a change of scenery.  Some of the backpackers staying there were actually working in Brisbane and living at the hostel.  If I'd found a job I would definitely prefer an apartment, even if I was still sharing a room.  Hostels can be fun, but you can never really unpack, share kitchen and bathroom facilities with dozens of people, and are constantly switching roommates.  I even feel a bit old there considering most people I meet are in their early 20's or even just teenagers.  Too bad Americans don't take gap years - that would have been epic!

Booking hostels at a weekly rate in Australia is often similar
or even more expensive than sharing an apartment.

I messaged a few potential hosts on Couchsurfing, and luckily one accepted my request to stay at his place.  My host, Nick, was from England and backpacked the East Coast of Australia before settling in Brisbane with an IT job.  He lives in an area of Brisbane called Fortitude Valley (known simply as “the Valley”), near trendy shopping boutiques and posh restaurants, with Chinatown and the main nightlife area easily within walking distance.

shopping scene on James Street, near Nick's apartment

Nick lives with three locals - one is from New Zealand but has lived in Brisbane for nearly ten years - all of whom were friendly and welcomed me into their house.  Anick, Nicks girlfriend, was also staying at the house temporarily.  She is originally from Quebec but met Nick while working in Colombia.  After finishing work in Bogota, traveling Brazil with Nick, she made the move to Australia to be with him.  Talk about serious commitment!

At the park in Brisbane with Nick (in the back with a blue shirt). I am 
to Nicks left and Anick, his girlfriend, is to my left.

I had originally requested to stay at Nicks place for three days, which turned into six.  Some hosts are picky about how long guests can stay - to be fair I wouldn't want a backpacker hanging around my place for an undetermined amount of time - but Nick was flexible and made it clear I could stay longer.  I also didn't feel too bad about staying so long considering Anick had arrived before me (she was looking for an apartment of her own).

The six days at Nick's weren't too eventful but nonetheless fun.  I went on a few runs around New Farm, an inner suburb next to the Valley, and walked with Anick to Kangaroo point, a peninsula along the Brisbane River with amazing views of downtown.  Both Anick and I were on the job hunt, so we spent a good chunk of time sending in online applications while Nick was away at work.  I'd rather apply person but it seems that online is the way to get in touch with most employers.  During the evenings I spent time with Nick and his roommates, going out for dinner and watching a bit of TV at the house.

On Saturday we met up with fellow couchsurfers at a BBQ at Kangaroo Point park.  The word BBQ is a bit different here; I usually think of it in terms of food like BBQ ribs or pulled pork sandwiches (with barbecue sauce), but the way Australians use it covers any food put on the grill.  I am constantly reminded of the opening scene in Dumb and Dumber with Jim Carry....
(Carry) Where are you from?
(pretty woman) Austria.
(Carry) Well then, lets put some more shrimp on the barbie!
And yes, Australians do refer to grills as barbies!


That evening Nick invited a few friends over to his place for drinks, after which we went out in the Valley.  The drinks were expensive and the crowd a bit pretentious, but after initial bar-hopping we found a good one - not too posh, relaxed, and good for dancing as well.  By the time we left my undershirt was soaked from all my not-so-impressive moves!

Anick showing off her bar-tending skills Saturday night.

Although Brisbane, and in particular surfing at Nicks place, was a good time, I needed to continue my job hunt.  Not many of the online applications I submitted showed any promise - most didn't even elicit a response.  Would have been nice to know if they at least looked it over!  One lead was a working hostel near Cairns.  I had filled out an application with them two weeks before, and they informed me I was on the short list for work.  While in Brisbane someone from the hostel called to say they wanted me...to come that afternoon!

That seems a bit ridiculous, but let me explain.  I had actually told them I was in Cairns on my application.  A lie yes, but with airline miles a last second booking is always in the cards.  Problem is I couldn't make it to Cairns before the last bus of the day.  So I fibbed again and told them I was on a day trip returning to Cairns that evening.  By the time they got back to me and said I could take the morning bus to the hostel time was running out to make the last flight of the evening.  I could have paid for a ticket, but at over $200 one way, I didn't want to take the chance.  Work wasn't even guaranteed, and if you were lucky and landed 30-40 hours a week on a farm, the hostel charges $210 (and even more for over 40 hours work!).  Add in a one-off job finders fee and I am glad now that I didn't take a last minute flight.

I also talked with the manager at a restaurant where Nicks housemate is a server.  It went well but the job wouldn't start for a month at the earliest.  With few prospects in hand I decided to continue north along the coast, looking for work along the way.

My first stop after leaving Nicks on Monday was the Sunshine Coast.  The area is a group of towns dotting the coast north of Brisbane and popular with Australian vacationers.  I spend two nights in Mooloolaba, next to the town of Maroochydore - more of those strange Aussie names.

The Sunshine Coast is near the Australia Zoo (made famous by Steve Irwin), which I visited while in Mooloolaba. The entry fee was steep - $59 - but it was a fun experience.  We got up close with the kangaroos and saw a crocodile show hosted by Steve Irwin's wife and children.


You can get up close with the kangaroos...
...and even pet them!
The koalas were a big hit.
This funny looking creature is a wombat.
The Sunshine Coast wasn't so sunny!

On Wednesday I heard from Scotty's Beach House, a working hostel, that they needed a night watch to work in exchange for free board.  There was also only one other guy waiting for work on the nearby banana farm, so there was a good chance I'd get on soon.

With few other options I thought it seemed a chance not to pass up.  I booked a flight from Brisbane to Cairns that evening, spent a night in Cairns, took the two hour bus to Mission Beach on Thursday, and started my shift on night watch that evening.  I had heard of the working hostel first through a friend from the Fruitshack in Leeton. He worked on the banana farm back in September and told me the hostel was a good experience, great to know amid rumors of empty-promises and skrew-you-over working hostels.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Training in DC and Prep for Georgia

From Busan to Osaka

My Dad and Uncle Visit Korea, Part 1