Job Hunt Redux: Brisbane Edition



Now that Sam (back to work in Baltimore) and Mike (off to Europe) are both gone, it's time to look for a job!  The day after Mike left Byron I was on a bus bound for Brisbane.  Fingers crossed that this time around is more fruitful than my hunt in Sydney.

Brisbane is the largest city in Queensland and third
largest in the country (behind Sydney and Melbourne)

View of Brisbane from the roof of City Backpackers, where
 Mike and I stayed and where I am now staying again
Brisbane River and the CBD; downtown seems bigger 
than a city of only 2 million people

After five days of searching the results are mixed.  Initially I searched online for working hostels around rural Queensland, thinking farm work might be easier to get than a job in the city.  I found a lot of contact info but most places either didn't sound promising or said to try in a month's time or so.  Seems like demand isn't too high at the moment but may pick up later in April or May.  The wet season is just ending so that would make sense; although "we should be busier next month" may be a standard line every time!

I do have a few prospects on the farm front.  One is a mushroom farm just outside Brisbane which is hiring at the moment.  On the upside it's close, but there are two drawbacks.  First, they pay piece rates - I don't imagine I'd be able to earn much making 80 cents a kilo of mushrooms!  Second, I heard about it through an agency which requires you to be a member to get the job.  That means I'd have to shell out 99 bucks before I even try it out.

I found the job posted by a travel agency called Peterpan's Adventure Travel; there are tons of
agencies here but of course you have to pay if they hook you up with a job

Another, more promising lead is a working hostel near Cairns.  Picking is based on a hourly rate and they will need workers within the next few weeks.  The more you work the more the hostel costs - I guess it's kinda like a finders fee for the job - but if I am making decent money I don't mind paying a bit extra for accommodation.  The hostel will contact me if and when they need work.  Hopefully that is soon and I can get more information.

On Thursday I actually had work, albeit just for one day.  An English woman wanted a backpacker to help around her house so she rang the hostel.  I had put my name on their job wanted list, and to my surprise, I got some work.  The woman lives on the north side of Brisbane, so I took the train to the nearest stop and she picked me up at the station.  She then drove me around the town on a little tour before we got started.  She actually used to be a backpacker herself and was super nice.

My primary job was building a shed in the backyard.  When we talked on the phone it sounded like the shed was simple enough to construct; it even came with instructions.  But before we could start putting it together I had to level the ground and measure out the dimensions.  The ground was sloped, so moving dirt around took awhile.  Then we had to go to the hardware store and get lumber for corner posts to anchor the shed (she wasn't bothering with a floor or concrete base).  I had to dig holes on the four corners and position the wood.

By the time we got started on the actual shed construction it was already after lunch.  And the first step, taking off all of the plastic covering from the pieces, took forever.  It was mid afternoon before we were putting the first wall together.  A neighbor came over to help as well, but even with the three of us we only managed to get the sides done.  The roof would have to wait.  Unfortunately she was leaving for England on Sunday, so I hope her and her neighbor managed to finish it!  By the time we quit it was dark.  But before I left she offered me and the neighbor beer, so the three of us sat on her porch chatting until 9:30!  I got a lift back to the station and even extra beers - not bad for an unfinished shed!

This is about what the shed should have looked like;
unfortunately I don't have any pics of ours since we didn't finish!

During the day a team of landscapers were working next door on an unfinished house.  The English woman mentioned that one of the guys was the owner; later I had to ask them for a tool and mentioned I was looking for work.  He took down my number in case he needed any more help.  Maybe I will get lucky and land a job with him!  Not counting on it but it's another potential break.

Other than job hunting I have been doing a lot of walking and exploring around Brisbane.  The CBD isn't as big as Sydney, but is modern, clean, and easily walk-able.  Next to the CBD is the botanic gardens, a beautiful park.  Roma Street Parkland, near main transit station, and Southbank, on the Brisbane River opposite the CBD, are also great green spots within the city.  On Wednesday I ventured out to the University of Queensland.  It's a bit outside of central Brisbane, but the campus is definitely worth a visit (in my opinion; I know most people don't put universities towards the top of their sightseeing list!).

The Southbank pool, with a sandy beach and a great view of downtown
A walkway through Southbank park

A couple random buildings in the CBD:

part of the botanical gardens

Pictures from the University of Queensland:

The main library
A ruby game was starting when I walked by the athletic fields;
it's hard to tell but that is an ambulance on the right, just
in case.  I guess they often do that for US football games too.

It's Friday evening now and I don't have any plans at the moment.  Two new roommates, Canadian guys, moved in today.  There is also an Irish guy and his girlfriend, who have been here ages.  He mentioned a party on Sunday, but not sure if anything will happen tonight.  The Final Four is on Sunday morning Australian time, so I need to make sure and watch the games - winnings from the tournament sure will help the travel funds!

By the time I write my next blog hopefully I will have a job to update you on...check back again soon!

Here are a few more pics along the Brisbane River:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Training in DC and Prep for Georgia

From Busan to Osaka

My Dad and Uncle Visit Korea, Part 1