Day Trip to Jogashima Island, Kanagawa

Cliffs along the southern coast of Jogashima

Back in March I took a day trip to Jogashima, and island in Kanagawa Prefecture, off the southern tip of the Miura Peninsula. It took close to two hours from my place in Tokyo on public transport, via two local trains and then a bus. The scenery was well worth the trip and I got lucky, with a sunny spring day in the 60s (close to 20 Celsius) and few other tourists on the island. This isn't an endorsement of Covid-19, but the empty trains and open spaces in normally bustling tourist sites are a bonus! And since Japan never had a strict lockdown, I made sure to take advantage of the opportunity.

Jogashima is connected to the mainland by bridge and is less than 2 kilometres (east to west) by 0.6 kms (north to south), so it's easily walk-able. The north side of the island, facing the mainland coast, has a small town and fishing harbor, while the south side is guarded by steep cliffs. It took me less than two circumnavigate the island and check out the town, after which I continued walking back across the bridge to the mainland.

Below are pictures from my day trip; I'll continue posting a couple times a week to the blog with photo highlights of other recent excursions.

Jogashima is at the end of the Miura Peninsula, about 35 kms
south of Yokohama. Tokyo is further northeast, along Tokyo Bay

The town of Misaki, at the tip of the Miura Peninsula across from the island

View west toward Mt. Fuji on the Jogashima-ohashi Bridge

Lighthouse on the eastern end of Jogashima


Cliffs along the south coast of the island

I lucked out, it was a clear day with views of Mt. Fuji


The local cat seemed not to mind the lack of tourists

On the way back to Tokyo I stopped along the east side of
the Miura Peninsula, near Miurakaigan Station

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Busan to Osaka

Training in DC and Prep for Georgia

My Dad and Uncle Visit Korea, Part 1