Eastern Tokyo - Sumida and Koto Wards


If you visit Tokyo, you'll likely spend most of your time in the western and central parts of the city--there's not a whole lot on the east side. I guess Akihabara and Ueno Park are technically east/northeast of the Imperial Palace grounds, although they are still quite central. East of the Sumida River, the only ward that draws many visitors is the aptly named Sumida City. The ward boasts the Tokyo Skytree, just across the river from Asakusa, and Ryogoku, home to the Edo-Tokyo Museum and the most famous sumo stadium in Tokyo.

Since I've had a lot of time on the weekends, with coronavirus largely shutting down my social life, I took the chance to see more of East Tokyo. Back in March I spent a half day exploring Sumida and Koto wards. I walked past the Edo Tokyo Museum, continuing on to neighborhoods around Kinshicho, Mozen-Nakacho, and Kiyosumi-Shirakawa stations, including Sarue, Kiba, and Kiyosumi Parks. These areas are still close to central Tokyo, so maybe I'll take another day and go to Edogawa Ward. Since then, I also went to a few spots in Chiba prefecture, further east, so I'll do separate posts for those. Below are a few photos from my walking trip:

The 23 wards of Tokyo. The Imperial Palace grounds are in Chiyoda. Along
with Chuo and Minato, it forms the heart of the business and government
districts. Sometimes, Shinjuku and Shibuya wards are also included, since
they include many shopping, nightlife, and tourist attractions.

At the Yokoami-cho park near the Edo-Tokyo Museum


The Edo-Tokyo Museum, which was closed due to Covid-19

View of Tokyo Skytree from the Oyokokawa Shinsui Park

Kiba Park, with the Skytree in the background

Another view of the Skytree from the Sumida River

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Busan to Osaka

Training in DC and Prep for Georgia

My Dad and Uncle Visit Korea, Part 1